THE 1ST VIRTUAL
ON SUSTAINABLE EDUCATION
December 11-13, 2020
Since education underpins all the spheres of our life, the achievement of the desired SDGs seems to be impossible without raising good critical thinkers and skillful agents of sustainable future. Our Mission is to unite all the interested parties in their striving to facilitate pursuing the SDGs through the transformation and modernization of the education system, that will consequently support learners of all ages to be active contributors to more peaceful and sustainable societies and develop a sense of responsibility for our planet.
SEVIC 2020 encourages scholars and practitioners to meet and exchange ideas and views in the Virtual International Conference format, stimulating respectful dialogue and affording an exceptional opportunity for renewing old acquaintances, making new contacts, networking, and facilitating partnerships across national and disciplinary borders.
We focus our attention on three boosters of the human educational and developmental process:
The unspoiled minds get much from their parents. The closest people have quite a great educational potential.
The educational system offers great opportunities through the destinations variability and exquisite facilitating power.
It’s up to us to decide where to stop. Why stopping? Let’s move further!
— BACKGROUND —
In 2015, the United Nations General Assembly adopted the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) for all the countries to achieve by 2030 in order to transform the world for sustainable future. Education is acknowledged to be the most powerful means to raise awareness and knowledge about pressing global challenges that concern sustainability, amongst them human-induced climate change and global warming, environmental degradation, limited and recklessly exploited resources, poverty and unsustainable economic structures, demographic changes, etc. To facilitate the transition of the planet and the global society to a sustainable world, the SDGs demand that by 2030 “all learners acquire knowledge and skills needed to promote sustainable development…” (SDG 4 Target 7) and that “people everywhere have the relevant information and awareness for sustainable development” (SDG 12 Target 8).
In response to the challenges, faced by governments and populations around the world, a lot is being made to thoroughly equip education as a key enabler of the SDGs. But the problem is that the ESD (Education for Sustainable Development) efforts need education, which is sustainable itself. Focusing on education, SDG 4 stresses the criticality of ensuring high-quality education and promoting lifelong learning opportunities for all. Much still remains to be done to consolidate the transformative potential of the relevant national and international stakeholders.
— OBJECTIVES —
- Raising global and national awareness on sustainable development challenges and the crucial role of education as a key enabler of the successful achievement of all the SDGs.
- Raising awareness of the existing European and global frameworks that are relevant for sustainable education.
- Bringing the problems of the Ukrainian system of education on the agenda of the EU- and national stakeholders in the sustainable education field.
- Bringing together diversity of experiences from across the globe towards education for change and bringing in the element of quality improvement in education.
— OUTCOMES —
- Global and national awareness about sustainable education as a key enabler of the successful achievement of all the SDGs is increased. The Conference participants understand the importance of education for sustainable development and increase their efforts in their professional capacities.
- A strong basis for efficient networking with the relevant national and international stakeholders including government agencies, academic and educational institutions, NGOs, experts, parents and other active representatives of the public is established.
- The domestic discussion of the sustainable education matters both in the academic and non-academic environments is vitalized. The world’s best practices in setting the key milestones to pass on the way to achieving the SDGs are adopted.
Why to participate?
- Efficient networking and collaboration with the like-minded experts in the field.
- Certified participation in three webinars addressing Media Literacy, Academic Integrity, and the role of ICT in ensuring Sustainable Education.
- Submitting a paper to the Conference Proceedings for publishing in the Discover Sustainability Journal (Springer).
- Three randomly chosen participants will be granted licences for the education-related ICT tools.
- Three randomly chosen participants will get a 100% discount for the participation in the upcoming Virtual International Conference “Sustainable Development Landmarks” (to be held on April 2-4, 2021).
- Three randomly chosen participants will get a 50% discount for the participation in the upcoming International Conference “Sustainability Facets: Sustainable Cities” (to be held on September 22-24, 2021).